Have you ever heard about this number? It has many important and symbolic meanings in diverse disciplines ranging from mathematics to religions and spiritual practices, martial arts, yoga and you even find it in buildings and temples. It appears to have been a mystical number back in the day.
In yoga, the number 108 refers to spiritual completion – it seems to have an essence that connects us to the whole.
Can a number connect us to our place in the cosmic order?
You will find tons of examples where the number 108 appears, but asking for why 108, we’re thrown back to believes and interpretations rather than proof points.
Let’s have a look to where we find this magic number:
- Based upon the sacred cycle of 108 yogis practice once a year, usually at spring equinox or to honor the international yoga day 108 Surya Namaskar A (Sun Salutations)
- 108 has long been considered a sacred number in Hinduism and Yoga. Traditionally, malas, or garlands of prayer beads, come as a string of 108 beads (plus one for the “guru bead”). A mala is used for counting as you repeat a mantra.
- Renowned mathematicians of Vedic culture viewed 108 as a number of the wholeness of existence.
- There are 54 letters in the Sanskrit alphabet; each has masculine and feminine, shiva and shakti. 54 times two is 108.
- Stages of the soul: Atman, the human soul or center goes through 108 stages on the journey.
- The diameter of the sun is 108 times the diameter of the Earth.
- There are said to be a total of 108 nadis (energy lines) in the body converging to and from Anahata, the heart chakra.
- In astrology, there are 12 houses and 9 planets. 12 times 9 equals 108.
- 108 degrees Fahrenheit is the internal temperature at which the human body’s vital organs begin to fail from overheating.
- 1 = God or higher Truth
0 = emptiness or completeness in spiritual practice
8 = infinity or eternity
Does 108 has any meaning for you? Without really thinking about it, my number of luck has always been 9 and some years ago I figured out, that 9 is also my number following the Mayan astrology. 1 + 0 + 8 = 9, here we go….